Two Bleach Alternatives That Will Effectively Remove Mold From Hard Surfaces

25 February 2015
 Categories: , Blog

Share

Bleach is the most common solution that comes to mind when most people think of mold removal. While bleach is surely excellent at killing mold and mold spores, it also has its downfalls. It dries out your hands if you happen to come into contact with it, and the gases it releases can cause a number of health problems, including asthma and an increased risk of cancer. Though bleach hogs all of the attention, it is not the only product capable of removing mold. Here's a look at two other mold removal products, which may be safer, more natural solutions for your home.

Tea Tree Oil

This natural oil is well known for its ability to kill fungus and bacteria. Though it is more commonly used as an acne and dandruff treatment, it's also effective for killing and removing small patches of mold on hard surfaces. It works well on bath tubs, shower surrounds, and other areas in the bathroom.

To use tea tree oil to remove your mold, simply mix two teaspoons into two cups of warm water in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on the moldy surface, and let it sit for an hour. Then, scrub the mold away, using a coarse brush or scrubber. You will have to scrub harder than if you were to use bleach, but with a little effort, the mold should come off.

Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is commonly used to cleanse wounds and can even be used as a mouthwash. Thus, you can be confident that it's a safe option for removing mold. Make sure you're using 3% hydrogen peroxide that is typically sold in brown bottles at drugstores, not stronger solutions intended for chemical production. This solution can be used for larger areas of mold.

To remove mold with hydrogen peroxide, simply pour it into a spray bottle, and then spray it on the moldy surface. Let it sit for a minute, and then wipe it away. For the best results, you may want to treat the area twice, leaving 2–3 days between treatments. It is not as effective at killing mold spores as it is mature mold, and re-treating allows you to remove spores that weren't killed by the first treatment.

You don't have to suffer through dry hands and a scratchy throat to remove your mold. Especially if you're sensitive to bleach, these solutions can allow you to remove mold without sacrificing your health. After all, the whole goal of removing mold is to maintain a healthy home. Talk to a professional like Authorized Services for assistance.